Millions of families will be hitting the road this Memorial Day weekend. The last thing that they should worry about is their homes being burglarized! Protection 1 not only offers life safety, but we also like to share tips to ensure that everyone is taking the correct precautions while traveling. Here are a few favorites:
- Do not post on social media networks announcing that you are going out of town and that your house is vacant.
- Make sure all your windows are secure – don’t forget about the upstairs windows! Reduce the chance of being broken into by a burglar climbing a tree by cutting tree limbs down that are close to second-story windows.
- After you get done trimming your trees, do a walk around your house to see if there are any objects such as ladders or trash cans that might give access your home or help a burglar scale a fence.
- Reach out to a friend or family member and ask if they can pick up your mail, newspapers or any deliveries.
- Turn your telephone ringer off – that way no one outside your house can hear your phone go unanswered. Do not change your answering machine message to say you are not at home!
We hope that these Memorial Day Safety Tips will provide you with some insight before leaving on vacation. To keep your house even more secure, consider having a monitored professionally installed security system. In the event of a break-in, a monitored P1 system will dispatch the police department. If you are subscribed to our eSecure services, you can receive a text or email message notifying you of the alarm signal in real-time. You can even remotely view video cameras and check in on your house while you are away.
We hope that everyone has a safe and fun Memorial Day weekend!